Family Villa of the Pluháčeks

Date 1925–1926
Code Z6
Address Kvítková 780, Zlín
Public transport Public transport: Lešetín I (BUS 38)
GPS 49.2271392N, 17.6735803E
  • Ondřej Ševeček, Zrození Baťovy průmyslové metropole. Továrna, městský prostor a společnost ve Zlíně v letech 1900-1938, České Budějovice 2009

With the continuing industrialisation at the beginning of the 20th century, not only was the historical centre of náměstí Míru with its adjacent streets changed, but also the older districts in the vicinity. Even before the First World War, there were several shoe factories in Zlín (Meta Zlín, Zapletal's shoe factory), whose workers, forming a new social class, had to be accommodated. In addition to the construction activities of local cooperatives, there were also more generous family houses and villas for wealthier entrepreneurs. The need to address the expansion of Zlín industry led to the preparation of the first regulatory plans, the author of which was the Zlín builder Josef Winkler (born 1872). One of the first modified city districts was Padělky, and Cigánov, Dlouhá and Kvítková streets, among others, were gradually modified.
Kvítková Street (formerly called Repetka) which connected to náměstí Míru in the eastern part, served as the main road connecting Zlín with nearby Vizovice. In addition to simple single-storey houses, there were also multi-storey buildings combining residential functions with commercial ground floors, as well as representative buildings intended for higher-ranking entrepreneurs and townspeople. One such house is the villa of the Jarcovják family, or the family house of Františka and Rudolf Pluháček, a few metres down the road. Of interest is the job classification of Rudolf Pluháček, who was employed as an administrator in the company of T. A. Baťa.
A simple and elegant two-storey building with a hipped roof and a dormer was built between 1925 and 1926. The plans were signed by the Zlín builder Bohumil Zámečník, who was, with his company, behind the design of the house. He is probably also the author of its architectural design. In Zlín, he not only owned a successful construction company, but as an author he is also signed under several commercial and residential houses in the city centre on Rašínova street and on Tomáš Baťa Avenue (the Malotas' house, Alois Nakládal's house).
The house has a rectangular floor plan. In the middle part of the facade there is a semi-circular avant-corps along the entire height of the ground floor creating a base of a balcony accessible from the middle room on the first floor. The balcony ends with a balustrade with a subtle vertical railing protruding from its base. The entrance to the house is not orientated towards the street, but is located on the south side. The plot is entered through a covered pergola standing on brick pillars. On the ground floor there is a spacious hall, from which you enter two rooms, kitchen, pantry, and bathroom. On the first floor, to which a U-shaped staircase leads, there are three more rooms. The surrounding garden is lined with decorative fences on a low brick wall with face brick pillars, which are still preserved today. The house retains its original appearance, including a number of details, such as wooden window frames. In the 1960s, a garage with a wood shed was added. The plot with fencing otherwise remains unchanged and the house serves its original purpose. In Zlín, the Pluháčeks' villa represents a unique example of traditional burgher architecture preceding the functionalist villas of the 1930s.