František Jelínek's Apartment Building
Architect František Lýdie Gahura
Address náměstí Míru 65, Zlín
Public transport Public transport: náměstí Míru (TROL 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, BUS 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 53, 70, 90) Dlouhá (TROL 2, 4, 5, 9)
GPS 49.2271028N, 17.6672458E
- Ladislava Horňáková, František Lýdie Gahura. Projekty, realizace a sochařské dílo (kat. výstavy), Krajská galerie výtvarného umění ve Zlíně 2006
- Ondřej Ševeček, Zrození Baťovy průmyslové metropole. Továrna, městský prostor a společnost ve Zlíně v letech 1900-1938, České Budějovice 2009
- Archiv stavebního úřadu Magistrátu města Zlín
In tandem with his work for the Baťa company, the architect František Lýdie Gahura also operated his own design office. One of his realisations created in Zlín, independent of the company's assignments, is house no. 65 in the middle of the northern section on náměstí Míru (formerly Hlavní náměstí). The building displays a purely functionalist style, an example of the architect's work in which he did not have to adhere to the company's aesthetic or financial requirements. The client for this construction was the entrepreneur František Jelínek, who, like many other local merchants, invested his funds in the construction of an apartment building in which he could live and at the same time rent the rest of the space for business services and accommodation.
The house is located on a relatively narrow plot of land measuring 12 × 30 metres. The original building with wooden columns and unfired brick lining belonged to Marie Langerová until 1923, when a project for a new house by Jaroslav Jarcovjak was initiated. No construction took place however and the old house was pulled down in 1928 due to its poor condition. In the same year, the building authority received the first project for a new house with a U-shaped floor plan and a 2-metre-wide courtyard. A gallery ran along the floors in the courtyard connecting individual flats. This proposal was rejected by the city authorities, because the ground floor flats would have had insufficient sun exposure.
In the second version, the basic floor plan on the lower floor was kept, but the west wing recedes in a cascading way, creating spacious residential terraces; this solution results in better illumination for the lower flats. The construction system of the house consists of a reinforced concrete frame structure where the skeleton is filled with bricks. The apartment building has a flat roof and two entrances, one from the square and the other from the courtyard from Zarámí Street. The façade towards the square has a simple composition of horizontal strips of a series of windows. The ground floor contained two business units with generous glass shop windows.
The business spaces on the ground floor were connected to two two-room apartments, which were soon used as warehouses or workshops. In the middle of the layout, in the east wing, there is a U-shape staircase connecting the individual floors. On the first floor there were two symmetrically-designed apartments with a terrace, while on the second and third floors there were 4 housing units and two bachelor apartments. The house has a basement under the the whole layout. Each apartment had a storage unit, a laundry room, a dryer, and garage. The construction was completed on June 27, 1929.
During the 1930s, the house was rented to various tenants, including a branch of the clothing company Nehera Prostějov. After 1948, František Jelínek was already living in the United States, and most of the apartments were rebuilt or served as bachelor apartments. The District Institute of National Health, for example, had its seat here. The original lime smooth plaster was replaced by textured plaster, but the structure and division of the windows have been preserved to this day. Currently, the house is used for commercial purposes, and the ground floor has retained its commercial function. However, the minimalist façade is significantly disturbed by visual smog.