cz

T13/52 (20 housing units – Gottwaldov)

Date 1954–1955
Architect Jindřich Merganc
Building constructor Spojprojekt Bratislava
Code Z15
Address Třída Tomáše Bati 3697, Třída Tomáše Bati 3698, Zlín
Public transport Public transport: Divadlo (BUS 31, 70)
GPS 49.2257928N, 17.6723867E
49.2257919N, 17.6713694E

The architecture of socialist realism reached Gottwaldov mainly through smaller residential buildings. Exceptions in the area of public buildings is, for example, a polyclinic building by Miroslav Drofa and a transport company building by Zdeněk Plesník. One example of socialist realistic architecture is the house on the corner of Lorencova and Stalinova streets (today třída Tomáše Bati), which was designed between 1954 and 1955 by the architect Jindřich Merganc from Bratislava's Spojprojekt (State Design Institute of Communications). The building stands in a busy location in the middle of the city, in the immediate vicinity of functionalist buildings such as the electric houses for city officials, which were designed by Miroslav Lorenc in 1939. The neighbouring houses also include several buildings by Viktor Jandásek and the house for Vladimír Machalík, designed by the Brno architect and builder E. O. Černocký. In the course of the 1950s, houses started to appear on Stalinova Street, which drew on the socialist realism applied at the time. This is also the case with the embellished building, designated in the plans by the number of apartments and the city where it was designed - 20 apartment units - Gottwaldov.
The four-storey corner house, based on the model design from typification proceedings, was built on two plots in slightly sloping terrain according to the T13 type. It deviates from the model according to the specific needs of the site. Type T13 belongs to the second stage of the construction of housing estates - the phase of socialist realism, which according to Rostislav Švácha, who dealt with the periodisation of housing estates in his books Paneláci 1 and Paneláci 2, fell into the first half of the 1950s, when houses were often built from traditional bricks in addition to prefabricated concrete panels. The prominent position of the house stirred a discussion in the preparatory stages about the form of the façade between the production committee of Stavoprojekt and representatives of Spojprojekt. In the original designs, the building was embellished with pronounced decorative reliefs, which were to be placed on the façade between the individual windows. The Gottwaldov representatives considered "plastics between individual windows with regard to the surrounding façades undesirable". The result is a compromise solution - the plinth of the building is clad with bossage of artificial stone in the corner lined with a geometric pattern strip and a bay window in the corner on the first floor. Two shades of structured plaster were used on other parts of the house. The third floor recedes from the side of Lorencova Street and is finished with a decorative cornice. There is a ledge above each window, and a rectangular frame vertically connects every three windows on the first to third floors. 
The total cost of building the house was 1,662,480 CZK.
The building contains a total of 16 two-room apartments (2+1) and 4 single-room apartments (1+1). Common rooms for heating exchangers, a laundry room, a pram room, and a one single-room apartment were placed in the basement. Herringbone wooden floors were laid in the interiors, coloured cement tiles with sound insulation in the kitchens, and stoneware tiles in the bathrooms and service rooms. Each apartment had an enamel bathtub, washbasin, and a shower. Before the house was equipped with central heating, wood burning stoves were used. Currently, the exterior of the 20-apartment building is preserved and the façade remains uninsulated. Even today, the building is a good representation of post-war construction in the spirit of socialist realism, which favoured ornamental embellishment and historical morphology. The preserved communication between the design institutes regarding the form of the façade indicates that even in the era of state promoted socialist realism it could in specific cases be used in a rather restrained manner and with respect for its surroundings.