cz

Náměstí Míru

Date
Code Z13
Address náměstí Míru, Zlín
Public transport Public transport: Náměstí Míru (TROL 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 13; BUS 31, 32, 33, 35, 36, 53, 70, 90)
GPS 49.2268381N, 17.6669333E

Náměstí Míru is at the centre of Zlín, a public space that reflects its long history, without emphasis on a specific period of rise or fall; it is a place where all important stages of city development are remembered today and a "place of memory" for local and national history. The square has had this name since 1951. From 1925 to 1940 and 1945 to 1951 it was called Masaryk Square, and during the Protectorate it was Hauptplatz/Hlavní náměstí.
The square, probably outlined by a lokator as a rectangular space with streets symmetrically extending from it, has been the main area of the city of Zlín since the Middle Ages, when Zlín was a serf town of local importance. As in the vast majority of Central European towns, the town hall stood on the square (memorialised in 1569, rebuilt or built anew around 1586, when it was given a Renaissance form; in 1760 it was renovated and expanded) and there was a fountain (its present form is from 1993). The town hall stood out above the surrounding single-storey and one-storey houses.
The church was located a few dozen of metres from the square, by the main long-distance road passing through the town in a north-south direction from the hill Hradiště (Hradská Street) to the crossing over the river Dřevnice (Dlouhá). A street called Školní Street, sometimes also referred to as Kostelní, led from the square to the southeast slope, where there was the church and neighbouring school and cemetery, core facilities of the modern city.
To the west of the square was the castle and the extensive grounds of its gardens and outbuildings. Along the wall of the castle park ran Kovářská Street, which connected the square with one of the two suburbs of Zlín - Trávník (Grygov) in the area of ​​today's railway stations. The northern edge of the town was characterised by the proximity of the river Dřevnice. A narrow street called Mlýnská (now replaced only by a passage, which is, however, in a different place than where the original street led) ran to the lower mill from the square. Hlavní was an important shopping street, connecting the square with Dlouhá Street passing along the eastern edge of the city.
Two Baroque statues in the square recall the period when Zlín belonged to the lords of Rothal: St. Donát and St. Florian (František Ondřej Hirnle), which have probably stood there since the middle of the 18th century. 
In the last third of the 19th century and in the first decade of the 20th century, central European cities went through a stage of modernisation, when infrastructure and modern communications were established and, as a result of the development of local governments and social life, major public buildings were built. Thanks to them, cities gained a new character. In Zlín, then a very provincial town, modernisation took place at the end of this period.
The centrepiece of the modernisation was the building of the primary and grammar school. It was built on today's southwest corner of the square - on the edge of today's Komenského park - in the years 1896–1897 by the Uherské Hradiště builder Dominik Fey. Since 1934 some of its rooms were used by the library and since 1935 it was the seat of various offices with individual rooms rented to churches and associations. During the 1960s the building was used mainly by the library, and after renovation (2014) it became the centre of amateur cultural activities in Zlín. From 1925, the alley leading to it was called Školní. 
In 1921, the town hall building burned down. Construction of a new building, completed in 1922–1924 according to the project of František L. Gahura, foreshadows a new stage of Zlín's history characterised by a fundamental change in thinking about the city as a whole, its urbanism and architecture. In the second half of the 1920s and in the 1930s, Zlín experienced an unprecedented qualitative and quantitative construction development; it was one large construction site and at the same time a "laboratory" of new technologies. The focal point of everyday city life became náměstí Míru, yet the "old square" was not completely devoid of life.
The town hall building symbolises the fundamental characteristics of the general development of the city at this time, typical of the industrial or factory cities - Tomáš Baťa, owner of the largest industrial enterprise in the city, became mayor in 1923 (in 1932 he was replaced by Dominik Čipera, loyal to Baťa's factory). 
From 1932, a group of houses between the square and Potrubní Street was gradually pulled down. It consisted of one storey houses characteristic of small towns, owned by local craftsmen and merchants. Its role in the city's street network was rewritten by a new west-east thoroughfare - Tomáš Baťa Avenue. The slogans on the blind façades of the still-standing houses proclaimed a new image of the city, whose new streets, squares and buildings were characterised by, among other things, unprecedented scale and aesthetics: “We are building Greater Zlín. We are tearing down the last century. We are implementing the Regulatory Plan. ”After 1947, only the house No. 186, called Janáček's, remained standing from the entire front.
The square took on an irregular shape, lost its compactness and intimacy, and its layout remains somewhat ambiguous to this day. Trantírek's generous, two-storey tenement house with retail space on the ground floor (1940) took the place on the southeast corner of the newly expanded square; the southern front grew up and included, among other things, the corner house with the Archa café. The corner of the square and Kovářská Street (since 1925), which has been the main road leading to the train station since 1897, was also to be transformed, and its reconstruction and relocation closer to the city centre was intensively considered in the 1930s and 1940s. Only after 1977 was the post office and telecommunications building built on the corner. While construction work in the second half of the 20th century was reduced to a minimum - with the exception of the above-mentioned building - the character of a significant part of the eastern front of the square in the first decade of the 21st century was rewritten by the extensive building of the Zlaté Jablko shopping gallery (2008), which runs through the entire block of houses to Dlouhá Street.
In the meantime, the "old Zlín square" became the scene of the fall of the communist regime and the transformation of Gottwaldov back into Zlín. The events of 1989 are commemorated by Otmar Oliva’s bronze plaque of 2005 on the town hall building, a Memorial to the Victims of Totalitarianism.
 
 
ECH